Prep time: 45 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 1 hour 15 mins
Recipe by Taylor Mooney
1 package yellow Duncan Hines cake mix
1/2 cup nondairy milk
1/3 cup + 2 T vegetable oil + 4 T water
3 tsp baking soda
1 flax egg (1 T flax seed + 2 T water; mix)
1 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
8 oz vegan cream cheese
8 oz vegan whipped cream*
1 cup powdered sugar
remaining pumpkin puree (about 1/3 cup)
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice**
Caramel/maple syrup for drizzling
1/4 cup pecans
- Set oven t0 350 degrees F
- Combine your cake mix and your baking soda.
- Add in nondairy milk, vegetable oil, water, flax egg, and pumpkin puree.
- Whisk together until there are no clumps.
- Pour even amounts into 2 cake pans.
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
- While that is baking, start to prepare your filling.
- Place vegan cream cheese in a mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the whipped cream that you already made. (see notes)
- Add powdered sugar, pumpkin puree, and pumpkin spice. (see notes)
- Once your cakes are removed from the oven and cooled, slice off the rounded top of whichever cake will go on the bottom (this is a two-layered cake).
- Cover the top of the bottom layer of cake with filling, add on top layer of the cake, and frost that as well.
- Place pecans on the top of the torte then drizzle with vegan caramel or maple syrup.
- Chill until ready to serve.
* to make vegan whipped cream chill a can of coconut milk in the fridge for 24 hours, open can and scoop the thick top layer into a mixing bowl. Add in 1 tsp vanilla and 3-4 Tablespoons of powdered sugar.
** pumpkin pie spice is a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, and cloves so it is very easy to make at home