Many people think eating animals and animal products is a personal and respectable choice, but its not! Not only does eating meat and animal products hurt the planet and the people living on it, it comes from animal abuse!
1. Pigs are just as sentient as dogs and cats, which means they feel pain on physical and emotional levels.
2. Pigs are as aware and sentient as four year old human children.
3. They can learn to play video games.
4. They enjoy soothing music and massages.
5. Pigs are kept in cages so small in factory farms they can’t even turn around.
6. In the factories, pigs are forced to breast feed their babies through cages.
7. Pork increases your daily risk of mortality by 20%
8. In May, the US Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Office of the Inspector General exposed extreme sanitation and humane violations in 30 US swine slaughterhouses it visited and in records of 600 other US plants slaughtering pigs.
9. Because of living conditions, most pigs experience depression and emotional trauma.
10. There are plenty of cruelty free bacons, so why kill?
1. It’s one of the worst things you could feed yourself
2. Cows have to be pregnant or just have given birth in order to lactate- because of this, cows are put on “rape racks” and forcefully inseminated every 9 months or so.
3. If they baby that is born is a male, they will kill him immediately for veal.
4. If the baby is female, the cycle will repeat until she is too old to give milk- at which point she will be sentenced to death.
5. Milk doesn’t have to be cruel, there are many Vegan “dairy” products to choose from.
1. Cows are social animals and usually have best friends
2. They also get excited when they solve problems
3. Incorrect stunning occurs during slaughter so most times they are painfully stunned a second time or the dismemberment begins as they’re still alive
4. Neu5Gc is found only in animal meat, and is a sugar we cannot digest.
5. People who eat meat, especially red meat are more likely to develop cancer, heart disease, and diabetes.
6. Cows are separated from their babies (who are later killed) in slaughterhouses and research shows they grieve this
7. One pound of meat uses 16x the resources (vegetation) we would need to eat the food directly
8. Because one pound of beef uses more than 600 gallons of water, you save more water by not eating it than you do not showering for a year
9. Grass fed beef is even worse for the planet than factory farmed beef
10. There are plenty of Vegan “beef” products that don’t involve killing
1. Every single day in the U.S alone, the egg Industry kills more than 500,000 baby chicks either by suffocating or being ground alive because they are of no use to them.
2. Scientific studies show eggs are 2/3 as bad for you as smoking. + The recommended account of cholesterol humans should be consuming a day should be under 200-300mg, one cup of eggs has 507mg of cholesterol. It isn’t even HEALTHY cholesterol.
3. In the wild, chickens lay around 10-12 eggs a year. The egg Industry forces chickens by chemicals and genetic modification to lay more than 300 eggs a year.
4. Once a chicken cannot lay any more eggs, she is sent to the slaughterhouse to retire.
1. The average cage for a chicken in factory farms is smaller than your standard iPad.
2. In the U.S, 614,000 chickens enter boiling water alive
3. Because of genetic manipulation, 26% to 31% of factory farmed chickens suffer from severe leg abnormalities.
4. Because of the small spaces given to chickens, they will become very upset and fight. Instead of making the cages bigger, the industry cuts off the chickens beaks when they’re chicks.
5. Chickens are very loving animals, and also are sentient beings that feel pain.
6. Chickens are just as loveable as your family parrot
7. They are the most abused animal in the meat industry
8. Chickens are pumped full of so many hormones and forced to be such a big size for human consumption, they can barely walk
9. Most chickens are kept in such horrible conditions they die before they can even be slaughtered
10. There are many Vegan chicken substitutes that don’t involve this horror
1. 17,000 turkey enter boiling hot water alive
2. 45 million turkeys die for thanksgiving, 25 million for Christmas.
3. Baby turkeys (called poults) are very small and like to eat berries. In factory farms animals are fed processed soy/corn that they can’t digest well.
4. Turkeys also have their beaks cut off so they won’t fight.
5. There are many cruelty free Vegan turkey products. Please don’t pay for slaughter
Give up duck and foie gras
Foie gras (French for “fatty liver”) is the product of extreme animal cruelty. Factory farms produce it by force feeding ducks so much that their livers become diseased and enlarged. This causes a tremendous amount of suffering and can make it difficult for the birds to walk and breathe normally.
Few people would want to eat any part of a diseased animal, but in the case of foie gras, consumers eat the diseased organ itself.
Foie gras producers shove pipes down ducks’ throats to force feed them far more than they would ever eat. The force feeding can cause bruises, lacerations, and sores. The duck’s livers may grow to ten times the normal size.
Some foie gras factory farms cram birds into small, filthy cages where they can’t turn around or spread their wings.
2. When you pay for foie gras you pay for the slaughter of ducks, and vice versa
3. Ducks can become so attached to their human friends that they become depressed when they are absent
4. Mother ducks are very protective over their young, factory farming is very stressful for them
“90% of all large fish have disappeared since 1950s”
The amount of large predatory fish in the world’s ocean is today only about 10% of what the population levels were before large scale industrial fishing techniques were introduced in the 1950s. Check the source
“40% of sea life caught is discarded as waste”
It is estimated that 38.5 million tonnes of sea life that is caught annually, also known as ‘bycatch’, is discarded as waste, representing approximately 40 percent of the estimated global annual catch. Check the source
“The oceans will be empty by 2048″
Loss of ocean biodiversity is accelerating, with 29 percent of seafood species humans consume already crashed. If overfishing continues, in 3 decades there will be little or no seafood available as fish populations are under increased threat. Check the source
“$25 billion of subsidies for industry annually”
Analysis by fisheries researchers at the University of British Columbia Fisheries Centre suggests that global fisheries subsidies in 2003 ranged between US $25-$29 billion. Check the source
“Up to 2 trillion sea animals killed annually”
Nearly 70% of the fish caught globally tonnage has a corresponding estimated mean weight (EMW), including single and multi-species categories. Analysing this data estimates a total of 0.97-2.74 trillion individual animals caught annually. Check the source
“Idea of sustainable fishing is under pressure”
Seafood stewardship in crisis. The main consumer-targeted certification scheme for sustainable fisheries is failing to protect the environment and needs radical reform, say a number of prominent fisheries scientists and researchers. Check the source
“The oceans will be populated by jellyfish”
Human-induced stresses of overfishing, eutrophication, climate change, translocation and habitat modification appear to be promoting jellyfish (pelagic cnidarian and ctenophore) blooms to the detriment of other marine organisms.Check the source
– Losing Nemo, from the producers of Blackfish.
Don’t like what you see? Go Vegan!
going vegan also saves the equivalent of 20 pounds of co2 (greenhouse gas) a day, as well as 1,100 gallons of water, 300 sq feet of forested land, 45lbs of grain, and 1 animals life on average. This also hurts humans, specifically people of colour. Women of colour suffer most. These facts all come from major environmental organizations and are supported by many united nations reports. There are many resources on how to go vegan. Even if you live under the poverty line, are anemic, think you will miss meat too much, have an eating disorder, can’t digest gluten, are type two diabetic, maybe even type one diabetic, or are allergic to nuts and soy. There are many resources for people who have been told they cannot be vegan. There are even physical guides that can be mailed to you free of cost on going vegan. Every nutrient we need can be found on a vegan diet and daily nutritional requirements won’t be that hard to meet. Yes you can also get Protein, Iron & B12 quite easily. Welcome to the most compassionate diet! We promise, there are many things to eat.
Learn how to go vegan HERE